Share this post
A vertebral subluxation occurs when one or more vertebrae in your spine move out of their ideal position and/or when there is a restriction of movement between two vertebral joints. This is typically caused by your body’s reaction to stress in your environment (we will dive deeper into this later). This causes interference in the function of the nervous system, and can cause increased physical and chemical stress in the tissues surrounding the area.
This interference to the function and structure of the spine and nervous system can lead to altered function of your body which over time leads to symptoms, examples of which include headaches, neck and or back pain, hypo or hyper mobility, poor sleep, poor focus and concentration, poor posture, acid reflux and improper functioning of your immune system. “Your nervous system controls and coordinates the function of every cell, tissue and organ in your body. It makes sense then that when there is interference to its normal healthy function that you start to develop symptoms.” says Annika.
Lets take a look at what happens in your body when you have a vertebral subluxation in your spine:
1. Localised effects
2. Global effects
Stress hormones are increased when a vertebral subluxation is in your spine. What hormones are these? These include:
• Interleukin 6: this is a pro-inflammatory hormone. Leads to higher inflammation in your body. Higher inflammation further triggers the release of stress hormones, and so it starts a vicious circle. The longer the inflammation stays the higher the chance of the following issues too:
• Adrenalin: improves the blood circulation to your heart, muscles and brain. Decreases the blood circulation to your digestive, immune and reproductive systems.
• Cortisol/Cortisone: decreases the production and release of dopamine and serotonin. The higher cortisone is and the more it stays at a higher level, the greater damage it can cause to your hippocampus which leads to problems with memory and learning abilities. It also has very specific effects when it comes to women and men which we will dive into later this month.
• Woman: decreased oestrogen and progesterone which leads to decreased fertility, period issues, bone density issues, mood swings
• Men: decreased testosterone which leads to depression, anxiety, libido, lower recovery rate.
• Both: increased inflammation (which leads to many other problems discussed previously), poor immunity, poor digestion, lower energy, poor memory and learning.
3. Neurological effects
• Unbalanced emotional state: you can be more reactive to situations.
• Inability to focus: focus is decreased because of the interference and necessity the brain has to try and find our what is going on
• Pain: this can be both at the point of vertebral subluxation but more commonly
• Improper autonomic control: you may notice changes in the function of systems where you do not have direct control. This could look like more consistent diarrhoea or constipation, improper sleep, fatigue, weight gain, difficulty breathing and sweating at irregular times to name but a few examples.
Recent research is increasingly showing the negative effects of subluxations on our bodies. To function in a truly healthy way, your nervous system must be free from any disturbance in the transmission of its signals.
Imagine if the signals between your body and your nervous system flowed freely. What would that mean for you? That would be better hormonal and neurological balance, that would mean healthier function of your body in a physical and psychological sense. Research has increasingly shown that the correction of subluxations increases our body’s ability to repair itself. When you are free of vertebral subluxations, you’re reconnected to your ability to heal. The correction of vertebral subluxations is the job of a chiropractor. As an expert in the field of health, the chiropractor is a specialist in correcting vertebral subluxations and promoting optimal health.
You feel frustrated and unhappy with your health, having the same pain coming back again and again, making you feel captive with no way to heal ! At The Right Chiro we provide expert chiropractic care, we build you a customised care plan and advise you on good health practises, reconnecting you to your own bodies ability to heal so you can live a healthy, happy and fulfilled life.
Book Right now with the Right Chiro!
…did you see our free pdf that will share with you what may be causing that pesky neck pain, with 6 of The Right tips on how you can start decreasing it.
Just push the button to get yours.